- You must be at least 21 years of age.
- Since horses are gregarious and need companionship, you must already own at least one equine.
- We practice natural horsemanship at the sanctuary, and our horses are in various stages of development in that approach. We’re looking to find potential adopters who either already follow the principles of natural horsemanship or are willing to learn.
- We keep in close touch with our fosters, and we stay connected even after a horse has been adopted. If a problem should occur at any time, we are ready to help and, if necessary, resume ownership of the horse.
- Our adoption fee varies by horse, but considering the financial commitment that an owner must make over the lifetime of a horse, it isn’t high.
- Please fill out an application if you are interested in one of our horses.
- You must complete a foster-to-adopt application, and Sixteen Hands Horse Sanctuary must approve it. Click here for our online foster-to-adopt application.
- You must come to the sanctuary and meet/socialize with the horse you’re considering.
- Sixteen Hands will conduct a home visit in order to see where the horse will be living and meet any family members who didn’t come to the sanctuary for the meet-and-greet.
Dreamer ~ Quarter Horse Gelding
Dreamer is 25. Years ago he lost his left eye because an abscess was neglected. Despite weeks of treatment after he was rescued, the eye couldn’t be saved. We’re working on building Dreamer’s confidence on his blind side, and he’s doing very well with our farrier and trailer-loading.
Adoption Fee: $800 ADOPTION PENDING!
Gypsy, 20 years old, is a way-down-the-line descendant of a famous racehorse. But that isn’t what makes her special. She loves people and attention! We’re currently evaluating Gypsy for saddle work and tying, but she’s halter-trained and does well with hoof-trimming, loading, and bathing. While we’re hoping for a natural horsemanship home for all of our adoptable horses, it’s a requirement for Gypsy.
Adoption Fee: $1,000
Holy Toledo is a youthful and energetic 11-year-old. As his name suggests, he’s a spunky little guy. In fact, he’s personality plus. He loves to play with his two miniature buddies and the larger horses too! Holy Toledo is a confident and curious character that will make someone a great little horse. He leads, loads, ties, stands for the farrier.
Adoption Fee: $800.00
Lexi ~ Andalusian Mare
Lexi is 26 years young and is a very confident horse. She’s currently being evaluated for riding but would probably be just as happy hanging out in a pasture with a buddy. (She was rescued with a gelding who has since been adopted.) Lexi loves being groomed and does very well with the farrier and the loading process. She has seasonal allergies that are well controlled with medication.
Adoption Fee: $1000
Montana~ Quarter Horse Gelding
Montana is a handsome, stocky 19-year-old. We named him after a western state because his Palomino coloring resembles the rocky mountain ridges in that part of the country. Montana needs to be a COMPANION-ONLY horse because our vet discovered navicular changes in his front feet that cause intermittent lameness. And that condition will progress less rapidly if he leads a relaxed pasture life. At this point his foot isn’t painful enough for medication. He also has one positive gene responsible for HYPP, (Hyperkalemic Periodic Paralysis). Montana’s health issues don’t stop him from being an outgoing, alert horse. All of the volunteers love him and he does fine with routines such as hoof-trimming, bathing and trailer-loading.
Adoption Fee: $800
Piper is a young agreeable introvert. She loads, ties, stands still for mounting. She is good with fly spray, loud noises, other horses, being alone, and hoof handling/trimming. She doesn’t like to go fast so will make a wonderful trail and or obstacle horse. She is not suitable for speed events. Piper has to go to a natural horsemanship home. Piper has been tested for the HYPP gene (Hyperkalemic Periodic Paralysis) and has one positive gene (N/H).
Adoption Fee: $2000
Savannah ~ Grade Mare
Savannah, 20 years old, is an exceptionally confident horse who’s the lead mare in her herd. She has the basics down pat (leading, bathing, having her hooves trimmed), but she’s capable of so much more. Savannah will make someone a wonderful partner because once she trusts and respects you, she will give you the world. While we’re hoping for a natural horsemanship home for all of our adoptable horses, it’s a requirement for Savannah.
Adoption Fee: $1,000
Uncle D ~ Miniature/Shetland Gelding
Uncle D is 16 years old. This little guy is very sweet and would love a family of his own. He’s an easy keeper and can lead, load, tie, and have his hooves trimmed without any trouble at all.
Adoption Fee: $800